There is a right and wrong way to manage your Elder Law or Estate Planning law firm blog, with regards to SEO (search engine optimization).
Your efforts should produce results, and a steady flow of new traffic to your website.
Blogging and SEO mistakes can cause a lot of missed opportunities, and result in thousands of dollars of lost business for your practice.
Here is a list of 7 must-do SEO items for your law website and blog:
- Have a plan – Before you start, know your goals and have a strategy to reach them. Failure to plan is planning to fail as the saying goes.
- Post consistently – Search engines look for high-quality, new content. The more blogs you publish, the higher your website is likely to rank. Your readers are also more likely to keep coming back to your website if you are consistently providing new, valuable content.
- Focus on quality, not quantity – The quality of your blog content is one of the most important factors for SEO. Don’t think that your blog will rank highly just because you followed “technical” steps for SEO. Your content must also be valuable and high-quality.
- Understand SEO basics – If you put the time and effort into a blog, SEO should be a valuable part of your strategy. If you don’t know what the best practices for SEO are, like length, frequency, format, and keyword distribution, you won’t see optimal results.
- Shorter paragraphs – Many readers who come to your blog will only skim the content. This means that long paragraphs will never get read. Create short paragraphs with lots of white space and bulleted lists. (like this article!)
- Use visuals – Most people are very visual, so be sure to include graphics, video, or photos in your posts. Blogs with relevant visuals have a higher rate of readership and therefore rank higher in search results.
- Don’t expect it to happen overnight – Like other types of marketing, results from your blogging efforts take time. SEO is a long-game approach that can be very fruitful over time. It’s not unusual for it to take 12 to 18 months to see positive results.
There are a lot of elements to blogging and SEO. Putting these tips into practice will give you a better shot at success.
If you need support with blog content or SEO for your website, we would love to help. Schedule a free 15-minute call with us to learn more.